Before the service please
- arrive 30 minutes before the service begins to prepare the church and check if there are any special needs (Baptisms, Visitors etc.)
- collect service sheets, notice sheets and reading sheets from the box file in vestry
- put the service sheets and reading sheets on top of the boxes in the vestibule
- welcome people as they arrive and hand out notice sheets.
There may also be flyers to give people, or copies of the European Anglican
- encourage newcomers to complete a welcome card
- arrange for two people to take up the bread and wine during the offertory hymn.
- check that the duty council officer has given collection bags to the readers.
If the congregation is particularly large, you may need to start a second collection from the back
- ensure the bell is rung for approximately three minutes, beginning at 0950 (check with the organist beforehand)
- if needed arrange that extra chairs are fetched
- if there is a baptism, find someone to sit on the left at the front who can show the guests when to sit or stand, and how to receive communion
- during winter keep the doors shut whenever possible
A second sidesperson may be needed on Palm Sunday, one in the church and the other in hall.
During the service please
- count attendance and discreetly inform the server of numbers (at the offertory procession)
- usher people up to take communion.
Let the Organist and/or Music Group go first.
Try to maintain a steady flow
After the service
- help the treasurer count the money
- get someone to help straighten up the church e.g. chairs in neat rows, papers removed, books returned to their proper places
If you have any questions please contact Käthy Hoag, 032 377 32 02.
Thank you for helping to serve in this ministry
This page was last modified on 13 May 2016