St Ursula's Church, Berne, Switzerland
The deer-park in the moat outside the old city walls was filled in in 1826. The land belonged for the Department of Forests of the Canton of Berne. Until the mid-1850's, it served as the city's cattle market.
In 1857, in connection with the building of the new Hôtel de la Couronne (now the Bernerhof), the cattle market was moved to the Klosterlistutz. In the same year, the Department of Forests offered a site in Hirschengraben to the British community for building a church. Plans for a church were drawn up the following year by the influential English architect, George Street.
George Edmund Street, RA, FRIBA (1824-1881) was an apprentice of Sir George Gilbert Scott, and a champion of the Gothic style of architecture. His chief work was the Royal Courts of Justice in the Strand.
Although the community raised Fr 8454.50 towards the construction, this was not enough, and the grant was revoked.
History main page Back to St Ursula's home page